Friday, August 22, 2003

I had a HIIT cardio run last night. I can tell my body is tired and reacting to all this new activity. It was one of those days when it felt like my feet were stuck in the mud and I was running through syrup. It took everything I had to continue to put one foot in front of the other and SLOW! And yet I was totally spent when I finished. I felt horrible and euphric all at the same time. My fiance even mentioned that he could tell I was struggling, and he was proud of me because I didn't quit.

AND I ended up with a workout partner last night. About a year a ago June I discovered running and began a quest to turn myself from a beginner to a runner. I started slow and built up my stanima. I was SO excited the first time I ran 30 minute without stopping! At the same time I talked my fiance into comming with me. He kept telling me "I can't run, I'll just make myself sick..." and other such things. Of course with me beside him he couldn't run very fast, and I was building up by taking breaks, and before he knew it, he too was running 30 minutes without stopping, and soon was outdistencing ME. The bug bit us both and I started training heavily, setting my sites on running a marathon. Then, one day after a 6 mile run I stood up and realized that I couldn't touch either heal to the floor. I had strainded the ligament in the arches of both my feet! I was practically a cripple for a few days and gradually I heeled. But running has been out of the question. And my fiance too gave up running. Now I'm armed with special shoes (I'll have to take a picture of them sometime - they are funny) and inserts, and I'm back on the track. So, last night as I was changing he asked me where I was going. I told him I was going to run and gently asked him if he wanted to come. He said no, that he was too tired. He's been under a lot of stress at work, etc and it really has worn him out. So I just continued to get ready, not put out at all. Before I left though I asked him if he would like to walk to the track with me and at least watch and keep me company. To my surprise he asked me if I would mind waiting for him to change! He joined me and ended up circling the track with me. I guess I'm just really excited that I'm able to set a good example for SOMEONE.

Today I'm planning on working upper body. I'm going to have to get creative to figure out a way to work my back though. So far I haven't been able to really push that part yet. Is it perhaps like legs? Just hard to do? I have surprised trainers on occasion with my back strength. I think it's because I used to be a swimmer.

No comments: