Friday, March 11, 2005

I noted something interesting recently. It may help me lend some perspective to my own body's behavior.

I started the year at 208.5 lbs - by Feb 28th I was at 202 - a 6.5 lb loss in two months! That's less then 1 lb a week. Then March rolled around. I made some adjustments - MINOR adjustments (certainly not enough to justify what's happening) and in 11 days I've gone from 202 to 197lbs. Yes - that's right 5 lbs in two weeks - that's almost more then I lost in the entire preceding 8 weeks!

Did I stumble across some secret ingredient? Did I find some magic pill? well - kind of... SPRING! Spring arrived here in northern California at the beginning of march. Temperatures have been steadily rising (yesterday it was 87 at lunch) and the weather has been lovely. Now you might be thinking that the warm weather has gotten me out more - I'm moving around more, but this is not the case. I still sit in an office all day. Now - I might put this off as purely coincidence except for one thing.

Two years ago, I was going like gang busters. 18 weeks of steady 1.75 lbs a week loss and it October it just... Stopped. October - when the temperatures dropped and winter started to settle in. While being hampered in losing weight for five months out of the year isn't a pleasant perspective it does arm me with knowledge that I can use for my benefit. IF this 'hibernation' thing is real and my body really does fight me for every lb during the winter months then -one- it means I won't be driving myself mad trying to figure out 'what am I doing wrong?' it also explains why the 'holidays' always seem to be DOUBLY devastating for me - weight wise-.

It's at least something to think about - has anyone else found something similar? If it IS a real phenomenon then maybe those 5 months the focus will be to maintain my weight and/or go into a 'bulking' phase.

Otherwise - things are going really good - I jumped on the treadmill and ran for two miles. I did the first mile in 12 minutes - the pace I would eventually like to do my 5K in. Yes I know I'm slow - but heck I have short legs - at least that's what I keep telling myself - heh.

Have a GREAT weekend everyone!

No comments: